Monday, March 2, 2009

Fun with Rope and Remnants

I've been doing a little bit of spring decorating this past week and thought I needed a little more color in the living room. I decided to make some new coasters with some of my favorite fabric remnants. I the instructions on craftystylish
Anyway, I've been itching to try it. It uses clothesline rope which I had a little trouble finding, hence the delay in trying out the project. Anyway, you can buy 200 yards of the rope at Home Depot for a under 10 dollars. I made a bowl and 4 coasters and only used about a third of the rope. For a fun set of coasters or bowl of your own, just cut fabric into 1 1/2 inch wide strips about 6-10 inches long. Wrap a strip around the rope, form the rope into a cinnamon roll shape while sewing the layers together using the zigzag stitch on your sewing machine. To form the sides of the bowl, just gradually curve the edges and sew so that the bottom of the bowl faces out to the left of your sewing machine. It's as easy as that...maybe better explained with pictures than words! I'm sure I'll make more in the future, maybe next time I'll try making a tutorial!

No comments: